When I first began the journey to heal my son Aaron from autism, I had no idea about genetically modified foods.
I eliminated them by default because I made the decision to feed Aaron (and the rest of us for that matter) only organic, whole foods. I didn’t fully grasp the depth of the damage being caused by genetically modified (GM) foods until I was much further into Aaron’s recovery process and much further into my research regarding our failing American health the terrible auto-immune and developmental challenges our children are now facing.
Today I can tell you, without a doubt, that if I had to name the number one danger to our health it wouldn’t be drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes. It wouldn’t be the consumption of processed foods. It would be the consumption of GM foods.
GM foods are no joke, people, and the sooner America wakes up to this reality the sooner we have a fighting chance to stop this life-threatening assault upon our increasingly fragile state of health.
What are GMOs?
Most people have heard the term GMO before, but about only half of those people could actually tell you what it means. Just in case you are someone who doesn’t know, I will tell you GMO stands for “Genetically Modified Organism”. At this point, you might be thinking it sounds a bit suspicious, but you likely have no idea how you’re going to feel at the end of this article.
Let’s keep moving.
Genetically Modified Organisms are foods, both plant and animal, that are grown from man-made, chemically engineered DNA. It’s very important to understand that the end-product of anything genetically modified is a result of man and not nature. GMO combinations do not and cannot occur in nature or through natural crossbreeding or cross pollinating. We are talking about seed that is NOT the way Mother Nature intended it to be. It’s Frankenstein at its worst. This is man playing God, and not very well for that matter…
The technology takes a natural occurring DNA strand from one organism (like a pig, for example) and then inserts and/or replaces part of the DNA strand with a DNA from a different organism, (like a cow). The resulting DNA strand is unstable and fraught with issues. GM foods offend me in so many ways, but before we get into the actual proven health risks of eating them, I need to inform you about the concept of their creation. Get ready – if you’re not mad yet, prepare to be royally pissed off!
Food Is a Gift
Food is a gift of the earth which we receive through the nurturing labor of our farmers and gardeners. Every aspect of real food is designed by Mother Nature to be continuously giving. Plants yield seeds that can be harvested and replanted. Chickens give eggs that grow into more chickens which give us more eggs and can also be eaten for meat. Cattle provide milk and cheese and more cattle and more meat. The cycle is continuous with our participation and nurturing care of the plants and animals that God gave us on this earth.
Enter the Food Industry…
Imagine yourself at a board table where it is your company’s objective to become the main source of food for the entire world, thus ensuring your wealth and position of ultimate control of the population. You are being paid and paid well to figure this out.
So, you and your fellow board members decide that you will put a patent on seed…seed that is a gift from God. Your company will patent it!
You know you can’t paten natural seed, so you begin to understand that in order to make this profitable you’ll have to modify the seed. Once modified, your seed becomes intellectual property of your company which then can be patented…
In order to establish dependency on your company in the marketplace, you will make genetic modifications of the seed so that it must be purchased from your company every year. How will you do it? You’ll genetically engineer your “special” seed so it can’t be harvested and replanted. And since seeds from this year’s harvest cannot be recycled, people will have to continually come back for new seed – people can’t live without food – your company will grow richer and richer, and so will you.
But You Have to Convince Farmers to Go Along…
To accomplish this, you’ll need to convince farmers that your seed is better than natural seed, so you determine that your marketing will need to address this issue. A great idea! The two major complaints of farmers is weeding and insect control. So, someone at the board table suggests that you pay your company engineers to genetically modify your seed to be able to withstand heavy application of weed killer!
But It Gets Better (More $$$)
This is where it gets really good! Someone at the table has the brilliant insight that while they’re at it, the engineers should insert DNA components that make the plant into a natural insecticide and herbicide! This way, when insects try to eat plants grown from your seed, the plant will just kill them!
BAM – Brilliant!!!
Farmers will love it!
They’ll give up natural seed and switch to our genetically modified seed. And to boot, just cause you can, why not modify the properties of the plant to make it easier to harvest and to produce more so that the farmers work less and make more money on their yields.
And, Unbelievably – There’s More!
As these GMO seeds are being grown, they are infecting neighboring non-GMO fields with the GMO signature, so now your company can sue natural farmers for theft, forcing them to buy into our product and pay penalty. Soon, your seed will take over the world and we will succeed in world domination of the food supply. (Evil laughter heard here….)
What a perfect marketing strategy. And the icing on the cake is that we can manufacture the only weed killer and insecticide that our seed is immune too, Roundup.
Big Money Coming In, People. Big, Big money!
I know this sounds exaggerated, but I can assure you it’s not. Frankenstein-seed was created in a lab for the sole purpose of creating world dependency on manufacturing this product. The founding principal of America is a place of freedom, where people’s rights are to be cherished and protected. However, the progress of our time has shown a direct regression to the effect that America’s policies regarding food and health are being written to protect corporate privileges and profits over individual rights of citizens.
The People of America are Expendable
We are guinea pigs – mice in a laboratory.
For a time, getting GM products approved for human consumption turned out to be a problem. It was not a problem that money couldn’t solve. Indeed, the rules and regulations that GM food producers must abide by state that they are solely responsible for determining safety of their product. Any studies that the government cites supporting their decision to approve GMO foods have been done by the very companies that created the product and financially benefit from their sale. It might be a surprise for you to learn that other countries are far more protective of the health of their people and land than America is. They won’t allow GM seeds in their fields or foods. For this reason, European countries will not import American corn, soybeans, cotton, alfalfa, sugar beets, canola, squash and Hawaiian papaya. They won’t import our wheat either, but more on that tomorrow.
So what about third party safety tests of GMOs? Yes, they exist. Despite the government’s support for GMO’s, there are independent researchers who claim that their data implicate GMO-related chemicals in the development of allergies, Leaky Gut Syndrome, birth defects, immune disorders, autism, cancer, and infertility in lab rats.
The Simple Solution to Avoid GMO Foods
There is one simple way to avoid GMO foods. Be sure that the products you buy are organic. Organic produce cannot be GMO, by definition. Many people have seen the Non-GMO Project verification logo on supermarket packaging and are confused about what this means. A quick word to clear up this matter: Yes, it is safe to assume that a product is non-GMO if it is labeled organic, even though it might not have the Non-GMO Project logo.
The Non-GMO Project is a third-party non-profit organization that simply verifies, via third party testing, that an organic product is truly non-GMO. It’s an extra insurance policy that helps make it easier for consumers to navigate the grocery store so that they can trust the food they are eating is safe. The Non-GMO Project logo is a plus, but not a necessity for avoiding GMO.
So, avoiding GMO’s seems fairly simple, except when we get into just how deeply GMO’s have infiltrated our market. Labeling GMO products is not mandatory, and companies that produce GM seeds have worked very hard to keep it that way. Pulling the wool over our eyes is an essential part of their marketing scheme. If Americans really knew the truth about GM foods, their entire business would collapse, likely being subject to insurmountable lawsuits.
The following information is from the Non-GMO project website:
High-Risk GMO Crops
In commercial production, ingredients derived from these must be tested every time prior to use in Non-GMO Project Verified products (as of December 2011):
- Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
- Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
- Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
- Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
- Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)
How to Rid Your Home of GMOs
Your goal for Step One is to become fully educated on the dangers of GMO foods and completely rid your household of them. Below, I have outlined three things for you to do to complete Step One. They that will teach you how to avoid GMO products, and how to spot GMO’s hiding in foods you are eating and feeding to your children every day.
1) Download this Free Brochure produced by the Non-GMO Project.
2) Watch the documentary Genetic Roulette and share it with everyone you love. It is the best documentary I have seen to date. From this documentary you will receive full reports of scientific proof that GMO foods are not only dangerous, but that we are being lied to by the food industry about these dangers. Click here to watch it.
3) Throw out everything in your house that you now know is Genetically Modified, or contains Genetically Modified ingredients. Do not consume corn, soy, papaya, alfalfa, zucchini and summer squash, or sugar beet food products unless they are organic. Cotton clothing may also be GMO. Here is a list of ingredients that are indicated by the GMO Project to be extremely high risk for GMO contamination.
- Amino Acids
- Ascorbic Acid
- Sodium Ascorbate
- Baby formulas (buy only organic)
- Beef (eat only grass-fed)
- Vitamin C
- Canola Oil
- Citric Acid
- Chicken (eat only pastured, no soy)
- Corn Oil
- Corn Starch
- Dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt – eat only organic)
- Sodium Citrate
- Flavorings (“natural” and “artificial”)
- High-Fructose Corn Syrup
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
- Lactic Acid
- Monosodium Glutamate
- Soda (the HFCS is a corn derivative)
- Soy products and milk
- Sugar or sugar derivatives made from sugar beets
- Sweetened Juices (avoid HFCS and papaya)
- Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
- Xanthan Gum
- Vegetable Oil
- Yeast Products
Wrapping It Up: GMOs
Hopefully these past 2000 words have convinced you of what I’m already convinced: GMOs are dangerous and they are hurting our children. I hope you are no longer asking “what are GMOs” but instead asking “is this made with GMOs” when you look at food.
If you have any questions or comments, I would LOVE to continue this conversation below this post. Leave me your thoughts below and let’s chat!
- Samsel, Anthony and Stephanie Saneff. “Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases II: Celiac sprue and gluten intolerance” in Interdiscip Toxicol 2013, 6(4): 159–184. doi: 10.2478/intox-2013-0026 (available online at: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/intox).
- Thongprakaisang S, A Thiantanawat, N Rangkadilok, T Suriyo, and J Satayavivad. “Glyphosate induces human breast cancer cells growth via estrogen receptors” in Food Chem Toxicol 2013 Sep, 59: 129-36. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2013.05.057 (available online at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23756170).
- Samsel, Anthony and Stephanie Saneff. “Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases” Entropy 2013, 15(4), 1416-1463. doi:10.3390/e15041416 (available online at: http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/4/1416).
- Cellier, Dominique, Joël Spiroux de Vendômois, François Roullier, and Gilles-Eric Séralini. “A Comparison of the Effects of Three GM Corn Varieties on Mammalian Health” in Int J Biol Sci 2009, 5(7):706-726. doi:10.7150/ijbs.5.706 (available online at:http://www.ijbs.com/v05p0706.htm).